The Mitcham Historical Society was formed in 1977 as a
sub-group within the Mitcham Village Art & Crafts Association Incorporated,
with aims and objectives including to foster an awareness, preserve and
maintain the character of Mitcham Village, to promote the study of local and SA
history and to promote the collection, preservation of material relating to
local and state history.
Pamela Oborn was elected Chairman and Gene Lienert as the
Secretary, with a committee responsible for planning the year’s activities and
promoting events. The committee also formed the nucleus of a consultative group
available to advise on local heritage matters. After years of lobbying, the
Mitcham Urban Conservation Area of some 29 hectares was placed on the Register
of the National Trust in Canberra.
The Mitcham Village Conservation Zone, originally
established in 1840 still retains much of its original colonial architecture
and is one of the oldest European settlements in the State, thus it was
imperative that this unique area be preserved. (The District Council of Mitcham
itself formed in 1853, was the first local governing body to have been
proclaimed outside of Adelaide.) Also in 1986 the society assisted with the
appointment of Maggy Ragless as Local History Officer, a position funded by the
Later the society helped in the formation of the council
funded Mitcham Heritage Research Centre. This group of volunteers are committed
to historical research and they also maintain, enlarge and promote the Local
History Collection, which was started by the Mitcham Historical Society.
Through discussions with the Mitcham Village Arts &
Craft (MVAC) Executive Committee and members of the Mitcham Historical Society
(MHS) Committee, it was decided in the best interests of both organisations, the
MHS would separate from the MVAC to become a singularly independent
This would enable both groups the ability to focus on their
core objectives. Our independence will lead to a more productive future for our
organisation, with our continuing objectives to fulfil our needs to the
community. We will not only be an interactive social group promoting the
education of historical subjects, but be also involved in assisting public
awareness required to preserve the remaining icons in the local area.
A new chapter in the history of the Mitcham Historical
Society has begun with our incorporation on the 25th of September, 2007. It is
only through the efforts of various concerned individuals and groups such as
ours, that our heritage can be protected for the benefit and appreciation of
future generations. We are looking for young or “young at heart” people with
energy, enthusiasm and expertise for preserving our heritage, researching and
writing journals to be included in our newsletters.
We welcome a closer liaison with local schools and their
students. The Inaugural Meeting for the Mitcham Historical Society Incorporated
was held on the 17th October 2007.
Mr Tim Oughton, Principal of Scotch College was appointed as
our Patron and the Executive Committee was formed with the following
appointments: Chairperson – Julie Hogan, Vice Chairperson – Tricia Cosh,
Treasurer – Brian Angus, Secretary – Julie Hogan, Comittee Members appointed
were Richard Irving, John Wood, Maria Evans-Raymond and Edna Gardner.