Scotch College Adelaide is situated on over 20 hectares in Mitcham about 8 kilometres south of Adelaide’s CBD in South Australia.
The College was founded as a memorial to the sons of Scotland who served in the Great War of 1914-1918. It was incorporated under an Act of Parliament in 1922. Gratton House, now the Middle School, was built as a memorial to 57 Old Collegians who gave their lives in World War II.
In 1923 Scotch became the first school in South Australia to have a fully operational farm on campus, where students could learn agriculture, and animal husbandry.
The College’s Outdoor Education and Nature Conservation programs were strengthened by the acquisition of the lease to Goose Island in 1966. The first hut was built on the Island in January 1967 and since then has been regularly visited by staff, students and parents.
In 1972 the College became co-educational and the Middle School began in 1973.
In 1993 Apple Macintosh laptop computers were introduced for every student in Year 7. By 1999 all Middle and Senior School students had laptops, connected to the College’s own wireless network.
Today, laptop learning is imbedded in the curriculum and students are expected to have their laptops with them each lesson. It is routine to see students sitting around the grounds using their laptops, making films or catching up on work.
In 2004, the College acquired a portion of land on Kangaroo Island, named Kyre Campus after the original forefathers of the College. Kyre provides students with an opportunity to understand environmental sustainability and management and utilises and collaborates with experts to enhance learning at the wilderness campus.
The College is administered by its Council of Governors in association with the Uniting Church in Australia, and its purpose is to provide a broad, liberal education based on Christian principles.
Scotch College is an independent co-educational school from Early Learning to Year 12, offering boarding from Years 7 to 12.